Copy
COL Connections - Issue 2, July 2019

View this email in your browser
COL CONNECTIONS

Kia Ora and Welcome to the third E-dition that aims to connect our CoL. 
This quarterly publication is sent to all schools each term and is disseminated to Boards of Trustees, staff, parents, whānau, and student communities in order to communicate the work of the Morrinsville Kāhui Ako - Community of Learning. I hope that you find this newsletter informative and interesting. 

INTRODUCING SAMANTHA FAROOK

Across-School Leader for Morrinsville Kāhui Ako-Community of Learning

The MKA-CoL is proud to introduce Samantha Farook as our ASL. Samantha emigrated to New Zealand from South Africa when she was eighteen and began her studies at the University of Auckland where she completed a Bachelor of Science degree. She then moved to Hamilton to study for her Graduate Diploma in Teaching. From 2013 to 2014, she was employed at Fraser High School as a Science, Junior Maths and Food Technology teacher. Samantha and her husband embarked on a two-year adventure in the UK where Samantha worked as a Science teacher at Moreton Community School in Wolverhampton. Returning to NZ in 2017, Samantha began work at Morrinsville College where she teaches Science and Biology. She was appointed as our Across School Leader [ASL] for the MKA-CoL while being pregnant with her first baby and while completing a MindLab qualification in Digital and Collaborative Teaching and Learning. Samantha’s strengths and interests lie in Assessment for Learning, ICT proficiency (multiple platforms and devices), curriculum and resource development, mentoring and professional support, and building and maintaining productive professional relationships. She especially enjoys relating to students and staff from a variety of cultural backgrounds.

Samantha is looking forward to meeting you. She can be contacted by email: samantha-farook@morrcoll.school.nz 

COL NEWS UPDATE

Sharing news from around our MKA-CoL

We are excited to announce that our ECE Collaboration Fund and Iwi Collaboration Fund applications have now both been approved by the Ministry of Education. These funds support the ongoing work by the MKA-CoL to develop closer connections with our Early Childhood colleagues and forge deeper relationships with our local Ngāti Hauā Iwi.

Kiwitahi School will be welcoming their new Principal, Nicholas Jensen, at the start of Term 4, and we want to add our own warm Kāhui Ako welcome to Nicholas. We hope to be working closely with him as part of our collaboration with Kiwitahi School. I would also like to thank Bill James, Acting Principal and Karen McAskie for their support of the Kāhui Ako while in leadership. We wish you all the very best, Bill. 

The Kāhui Ako regrets to inform you that Vicky Marshall, our Across School Leader, has resigned from her teaching position at David Street School. Consequently, her position with the MKA-CoL also comes to an end with this decision. We wish Vicky all the very best for new opportunities and adventures that may come her way and want to express our gratitude for her deep sense of professionalism and commitment to the vision and values of our Kāhui Ako, as well as the community of Morrinsville.

Kua whakairo matou i a koe ki roto i to matou ngakau mo ake tonu 
~
Even though you leave us we have engraved you in our hearts forever 

MKA-COL STAFF LEARNING

In Term 3, Morrinsville Intermediate School graciously hosted two MKA-CoL Staff Meetings. 

Our first staff meeting this term was an important opportunity to encourage connections across our COL. Our aim was to connect staff from different schools through common special interest groups and encourage dialogue and discussion as Collaborative Learning Groups [CLGs].

Staff were asked for input and surveyed prior to this meeting to ascertain areas of interest so that issues teachers felt were of value were catered for. This initial meeting was deliberately casual so that teachers (some of whom had no previous connections to each other before) were able to talk about topics that were important to them.

Our second meeting was a follow-on from initiating contact between teachers from different schools within the COL to developing a more cohesive approach to the CLGs. Templates with directed questions were available to guide and shape thinking around key aspects so that the CLG could define areas of focus. The plenary session by Sandy Harrop was an effective summary of Ko Au [Self], Ko Matau [School], Ko Tatau [Kāhui Ako]. The CLG platform will be further developed in 2020 to support the Achievement Challenges of the MKA-CoL.

Our updated document can be accessed here and hard copies can be accessed through your local school.

2019 PIAKO CULTURAL FESTIVAL

Despite the wintry forecast, the show went on!

The annual Piako Cultural Festival is a highlight of Māori Culture and Performing Arts and this year was no different. The honour of hosting local schools and kura went to David Street School and it is safe to say that neither the rain nor the hail could dampen the spirit, enthusiasm and mana of every student, teacher and member of the community involved in this wonderful event. The performances from our cutest ECE students to the awe-inspiring Morrinsville College Kapa Haka Roopu epitomised passion, pride and energy. The Morrinsville Kāhui Ako offers their congratulations to all who were involved on making this event a huge success.

PARTNERING WITH IWI

The Morrinsville Kāhui Ako-Community of Learning is committed to establishing strong relationships with our local iwi. 

The COL team has already been in discussions with Lisa Gardiner, General Manager for the Ngāti Hauā Iwi Trust, about how we can organise professional learning opportunities for our staff for 2020 and some exciting ideas are being developed. We will keep you updated as we know more. More information on the work done by Ngāti Hauā can be found on their website https://ngatihauaiwitrust.co.nz

We were also kept updated with the Iwi's Revitalisation Te Reo strategy which aims for:
             2016 - 38% fluent speakers
             2021 - 45% fluent speakers
             2031 - 61% fluent speakers
             2036 - 69% fluent speakers
             2040 - 75% fluent speakers
Information from the Iwi has been distributed to our local schools through the COL.

The Ngāti Hauā Open Country Dairy Scholarship is another initiative to encourage students to pursue careers in Food Science, Agribusiness, Agricultural Science, Mechanical Engineering or any other relevant courses. The value of the scholarship if $10000 and more information can be found here. Applications close on 31 October 2019.

CHRIS MAY PRESENTATION

The MKA-CoL was delighted to present Chris May, Principal of Tauhei Combined School, a member school of our COL, deliver his insightful perspectives on Educating Boys to our Morrinsville parent community. Held at the College, Chris discussed his learning into Boys’ Education that began in 2010 after his own experiences of schooling and achievement.

Through his book, Running with a Hurricane - Educating Boys for Manhood, Chris explores the world of boys learning, and identifies ideas of what it means to be ‘A’ man. It is written from the view of what boys could learn to be make valuable contributions, not only to the household they live in but also in society as well. These ideas are presented in a way that could be adopted at home or in the classroom by parents and teachers to best develop values and skills of boys. Chris talked about Man-Skills and Values, Communicating with Boys, Boundaries and Consequences, Boys and Technology, Motivating Boys, Praise and Reward, Boys and Food, and Setting Goals. Chris is keen to support parents, teachers and other interested parties to explore ways that recognise and develop the amazing potential our boys have as they grow to be great men. Chris can be contacted via email: chrism@tuahei.school.nz 

MATAMATA COL DAY

It was once again our pleasure to be invited by Alan Munro, Principal of Matamata College and COL Leader of Matamata Kāhui Ako, to attend a Play Based Learning workshop organised by their team. The MKA-CoL was represented by Vicky Marshall [ASL] and other staff from David Street School, Orini Combined School and Motumaoho School. These professional learning opportunities are great examples of connecting within our own Kāhui Ako as well as connecting across Kāhui Ako. We look forward to reciprocating the hospitality of the Matamata COL in 2020.

MARK YOUR CALENDAR

4 November 2019
6.30pm to 8.00pm
MKA-CoL Meeting for all Boards of Trustees and Owners/Managers/Headteachers of ECEs
Morrinsville College Library

11 November 2019
3.15pm to 5.00pm
Final MKA-CoL Staff Meeting for 2019
Morrinsville RSA

FINAL THOUGHTS
At the end of Term 2 I reported that one of our aims is to further teacher networks and ensure purposeful and engaging collaboration to Empower Learning for All. Our focus is on enabling connections between our staff members to engineer meaningful and relevant professional dialogue about things that matter to teachers. Collaborative Learning Groups are a new initiative for our COL and one that can engender improvement from within. When teachers and leaders work together across our schools willingly, and with intent to enhance what already exists, we will be able to develop sustainable professional practice within our Kāhui Ako. I look forward to keeping you updated on our progress.

If you have any queries, thoughts, or ideas on how we can forge strong partnerships that empower learning for all, please get in touch. Best wishes for a happy and restful Term 3 School holidays.

Best Regards, Ngā Mihi
Thilo Govender | MKA-CoL Leader

ADDRESS:  c/o Morrinsville College, PO Box 325, Morrinsville, 3340, NZ 
PHONE: 07 8898308

unsubscribe    

This email was sent to <<Email Address>>
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
Morrinsville College · Alexandra Avenue · Morrinsville · Hamilton, Waikato 3214 · New Zealand

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp